Castelnaud la chapelle
A typical village in the heart of the Dordogne
In the heart of the department Dordogne, and more precisely of the Périgord Noir, is located the little village of Castelnaud la Chapelle, with its medieval castle that overhangs the Dordogne river and its inflowing, the Céou, both meet each other at the foot of the castle. Castelnaud la Chapelle is classified one of « The most beautiful villages of France », among many other villages of the Périgord Noir, notably thanks to its little stone lanes and its incredible patrimonial wealth.
A magic place
The Castel and gardens of Milandes
There is also the castle of the Milandes, more known for having been the house of Joséphine Baker, it is today a museum but is especially renowned for its birds of prey shows
A historic place
The Castle of Castelnaud
Castle Castelnaud is a medieval fortress located in the town of Castelnaud-la-Chapelle, in the French department of the Dordogne. In 1980, it was classified as a historical monument and its gatehouse was listed as a historical monument also.
The Marqueyssac Gardens
Classified site of the Périgord Noir, the romantic and picturesque gardens of Marqueyssac offera trial around a castle covered with lauzes of the beginning of the XIXe century, more than 6 kilometers of shaded walks, lined with 150 000 boxwood centenaries cut by hand, and decorated with belvederes, rock gardens, waterfalls and theaters of greenery …
The medieval town of Sarlat la Canéda is the Capital of the Périgord Noir. The southest part of the department of Dordogne is named Périgord Noir for the color of the truffle that is found there, but also, for the dark color made by the shadow of the oak forests. At the heart of the Dordogne, the historical capital of the Périgord Noir has its reputation from its exceptionnal medieval buildings and its renaissance side. Everything was very well preserved because Sarlat was part of the first towns to benefit from the Malraux law in 1964.
Sarlat is also renowned for its famous market that takes place every saturday, where stalls invade the streets and where the specialities of Dordogne are sold : foie-gras, truffles, figs and nuts.
The Acropolis of Perigord
The walled town of Domme is located in the heart of the Périgord Noir, about 7 kms from the camping site. It offers an exceptionnal view on all the most beautiful villages of the Dordogne Valley. Domme has an amazing patrimonial and architectural wealthness.
Perched on a breathtaking cliff, it’s made of numerous little lanes that end on an exceptionnal view on the Dordogne.
City in the rock
La Roque Gageac
The pretty village of La Roque Gageac is also located at the heart of the Périgord Noir, on the edge of the Dordogne. Also classified « the most beautiful villages of France ». Famous for its cliff, its Dordogne river and its full south exposure that offers this village a microclimate throughout the year.
La Roque Gageac can be visited by walking along the lanes, or going on the gabarres, those famous boats from the Dordogne, that were in the past used to carry and transport goods on the Dordogne.
The Castle – Fortress
The Castle of Beynac
The castle of Beynac on the other side of the Dordogne is amazing on its cliff. It can be visited everyday in High season with a guide. Little advice : walk around to find the little chapel located behind, to benefit from the amazing view on the Dordogne Valley.
A 12th Century fortress, is very beautiful and authentic, it gives you a perfect idea of history, it’s totally medieval themed and has a terrific view over the valley of five castles.
Visits to do
- Le Bugue with the Aquarium of the Périgord Noir and the Bournat village. They offer a double ticket. 2 places completely different but that will please everyone.
- The Bournat village is a reconstruction of an old perigourdin village from the past with all the craftsmen we used to find. You can spend there a long time because they organize a lot of animations.
- The Proumeyssac gulf, one of the most amazing of the region, also on the village of the Bugue. Possibility of guided tours under reservation.
- The Rocamadour village with the eagle rock and the monkey forest, 2 places of interest 40 minutes from the road of the camping site where you will spend a nice time with your friends, family or in couple.
- The Padirac gulf on the road of Brive, about 45 minutes in car. The gulf is the first site of the undergroung world in France. Only under reservation on their official website.
- In Montignac, about 40 minutes from the road of the camping site, there are The Lascaux caves. Famous worldwide to be the main spot of the parietal art. Reservation several days in advance in high season.
- The walled town of Monpazier, a walled town in the land of walled towns (Beaumont, Villeréal, Belvès…), a village that seems to be frozen in time with its paved square in the center and its archs.
- Les Eyzies village, 25 minutes from the camping site. It is Thee! prehistoric village where you will find the international prehistory pole and everything linked to it.